Prince overdose: No charges to be brought
No criminal charges will be brought after the death of pop star Prince from a fentanyl overdose almost two years ago.
Closing a two-year investigation into how the singer obtained the painkiller – which is 50 times stronger than heroin – a Minnesota prosecutor said there was no reliable evidence to show who had given him the drug.
Carver County attorney Mark Metz said: “We simply do not have sufficient evidence to charge anyone with a crime related to Prince’s death.”
The Purple Rain singer was 57 when he was found alone and unresponsive in a lift at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota on 21 April, 2016.
While Mr Metz acknowledged that someone around the musical icon must have supplied him with the counterfeit pills, he said: “Suspicions and innuendo are categorically insufficient to support any criminal charges.”
Evidence showed Prince thought he was taking Vicodin, not the more potent fentanyl that killed him.
Mr Metz went on to say there was “no evidence that the pills that killed Prince were prescribed by a doctor” and that there was no way of knowing “who else may had a role in delivering the counterfeit Vicodin to Prince”.
Meanwhile, Minnesota doctor Michael Todd Schulenberg, who was accused of illegally prescribing opioids to Prince a week before his death, has agreed to pay $30,000 to settle a federal civil violation.
He had given pills to the musician by making out prescriptions to drummer and long-time friend of Prince, Kirk Johnson.
The doctor’s settlement made no mention of the Prince inquiry and he is not facing criminal charges.
Hundreds of different painkillers were found at the artist’s home during the investigation.
Prince, who projected a public image of clean living and followed a vegan lifestyle and rarely drank alcohol was understood to have suffered from severe pain for a number of years.
Days before his death, he had became unwell during a flight, forcing his private jet to make an emergency landing in Illinois.
More than 42,000 people in the US died from opoiod overdoses last year, while 2.1 million others abused them, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.
You may be interested
Meghan Markle wedding dress: Did Duchess of Sussex base gown on these royal brides?admin - May 20, 2018
[ad_1] Meghan Markle, 36, became the Duchess of Sussex when she married Prince Harry, 33, at the Royal Wedding yesterday.The…
‘Remember mum used to say?’ Harry and William speak of Diana moments before Meghan arrivesadmin - May 20, 2018
[ad_1] In an emotional ceremony, Harry appeared to well up in the chapel as he awaited the then bride-to-be to…
THREE MORE cases of DEADLY Ebola virus in Congo amid fears of urban outbreakadmin - May 20, 2018
[ad_1] The city has more than one million people and is 80 miles from the area where the first case…