Smiley Saturday! Today is the happiest day of the year
And it’s all down to a combination of good weather, long daylight hours and the start of the holidays.
And for tennis fans there is the added bonus of watching Serena Williams in today’s Wimbledon women’s final when she will face Germany’s Angelique Kerber.
Psychologist Dr Cliff Arnall has created a simple formula that shows July 14 is when wellbeing is at its peak.
He added that many children are close to starting their school summer holidays and teenagers have put the gruelling exams of May and June behind them.
The former adviser to the NHS on happiness and wellbeing said: “Family stress can be significantly reduced as the usual hassle of getting children ready for school, then joining the school run stops during the holiday period.
“This reduction in traffic congestion also benefits people without children, or whose children have grown up, as the roads are clearer and car trips are more relaxed.”
His mathematical formula for happiness can be summed up as K + C + P + (A5 x W) – Eo.
K stands for kindness, C for calmness, P for planning of events, A5 for achievement, W for warmth and Eo for emotional obstacles.
And this tells us what the happiest day of the year will be.
The expert, who now teaches at the Royal National College for the Blind, is also behind the Blue Monday formula for the most depressing day of the year in January.
He has updated his formula to exclude levels of financial wealth after many studies have shown that money does not correspond with happiness.
Dr Arnall said: “We are now in a time where massive sociopolitical national and international changes force us to examine where we are heading.
“The formula addresses the core human fundamental issues head on to help people build and maintain their happiness and wellbeing in spite of a very uncertain world.”
TEN REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL
1. England’s footballers play Belgium today for third place and Harry Kane could still win the Golden Boot for most goals
2. Briton Jamie Murray in a Wimbledon final tomorrow as he plays in the mixed doubles with partner Victoria Azarenka
3. More first-time buyers get the chance to get on to the housing ladder as house price rises slow
4. We celebrate the 70th birthday of the NHS
5. We move ever closer to the March deadline of leaving the EU
6. We’re enjoying one of the hottest summers for many years
7. Families are looking forward to time together over the summer
8. The UK economy is holding its own as unemployment falls
9. John Cleese is emigrating as he can’t believe we voted for Brexit
10. Britain is one of most beautiful countries in the world
You may be interested
James Bond: STOLEN Aston Martin DB5 from Sean Connery’s Goldfinger finally FOUND?admin - Jul 18, 2018
[ad_1] There are many iconic movie cars from the Back to the Future DeLorean to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.Although perhaps…
Thrifty Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall recycles another outfit for Devon and Cornwall tripadmin - Jul 18, 2018
[ad_1] Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, 71, was in Devon today with her husband Prince Charles.The royal couple are currently touring…
Avengers 4: Does THIS prove Doctor Strange orchestrated Ant-Man and the Wasp’s ending?admin - Jul 18, 2018
[ad_1] WARNING SPOILERS FOR AVENGERS INFINITY WAR AND ANT-MAN AND THE WASP AHEADMarvel fans will remember at Avengers Infinity War’s…