Rupert Murdoch's Sky takeover bid cleared by EU regulators

April 8, 2017
1589 Views


The European Commission approved “unconditionally” the takeover of the satellite broadcaster by Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox, the US movie and television giant.

Fox’s 1075p-a-share offer to buy the 61 per cent of Sky it does not already own, announced last December, still needs the blessing of UK authorities. Sky shares rose 7p to 969p. 

A green light from the Commission had been expected as it had raised no objection to Murdoch’s previous bid to buy Sky, which fell apart in 2011 when his UK newspaper operation was engulfed in a phone-hacking scandal. 

The Commission said: “Fox and Sky are mainly active in different markets in Austria, Germany, Ireland, Italy and the UK. 

“They compete with each other only to a limited extent, mainly in the acquisition of TV content and in the wholesale supply of basic pay-TV channels. 

“The Commission found that the proposed transaction would lead to only a limited increase in Sky’s existing share of the markets for the acquisition of TV content as well as in the market for the wholesale supply of TV channels in the relevant member states.” 

Fox said it welcomes the Commission’s verdict and “looks forward to continuing to work with UK authorities and is confident that the proposed transaction will be approved following a thorough review process”.

Culture Secretary Karen Bradley referred the deal to failed to allay her concerns over media plurality and commitment to broadcasting standards. 

Murdoch owns The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun and The Sun on Sunday newspapers through a separate company. 

His son James is chief executive of Fox as well as chairman of Sky. 

The UK’s media regulator, which is also looking into whether Murdoch’s company is a “fit and proper” holder of a broadcasting licence, has until May 16 to deliver its report. 

If it raises no concerns, Bradley will have to clear the bid. 

Otherwise, she must decide whether to accept undertakings from Fox to address them.



Source link

You may be interested

Beatles fans 'refuse to watch' upcoming biopic starring Barry Keoghan for one reason
Movies
shares1 views
Movies
shares1 views

Beatles fans 'refuse to watch' upcoming biopic starring Barry Keoghan for one reason

admin - Apr 02, 2025

[ad_1] The four-part biopic will see the story of the Beatles told from each band members' perspective as it stars…

Val Kilmer's on-set feud with Hollywood star that led to box office bomb
Movies
shares2 views
Movies
shares2 views

Val Kilmer's on-set feud with Hollywood star that led to box office bomb

admin - Apr 02, 2025

[ad_1] Val Kilmer signed up for the ill-fated 1996 version of The Island of Dr Moreau, which later became a…

Where you've seen Beatles biopic cast before – from Normal People to Game of Thrones
Movies
shares2 views
Movies
shares2 views

Where you've seen Beatles biopic cast before – from Normal People to Game of Thrones

admin - Apr 02, 2025

[ad_1] The cast for the 2028 Beatles biopics have been announced, with Paul Mescal, Harris Dickinson, Joseph Quinn and Barry…

Leave a Comment

https://bolatinubuelibrary.com/
https://www.dtnailspa.com/
https://www.cafutureleadersacademy.com/
https://sheebamandihouse.com/
https://www.selfcaresundaysbox.com/

https://oztadim.net/
https://openbibleministries.org/
bonus new member
slot bet 100